So Friday afternoon Jeremy and I decided we wanted to participate in the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure" 5K across the river Saturday morning. It was such a neat experience! There were over 10,000 people registered. I don't think QUITE that many turned up Saturday, because it was pretty wet, but it was close! There were SO many people. See this video...
I meant to try and jog much of the way (Jeremy's fast walk is my slow jog anyway) but we didn't even walk that quickly for the first mile, because we started out at least halfway back, and with a double jogging stroller, there's not much room to maneuver through people. We were in a pretty heavy traffic jam for the first 1.5 miles. Thankfully we were able to move more quickly for the last half, because it was definitely raining a little more during the last part. The kids were good sports, for the most part, and enjoyed all there was to see and hear. It was crazy to see all the survivors celebrated and non-survivors remembered on peoples' shirts and signs. I definitely had a hard time keeping it together, especially at the first of the race. It was a really awesome experience, and we hope to be involved again next year. Our first 5K was a success! (though our time was nothing to brag about...) We looked a little worse for the wear (well, Jeremy didn't) by the end, partially due to the rain...


Don't worry, we counteracted any excess calorie burn with a celebratory breakfast at IHOP. (We were definitely not alone that morning - I think half the restaurant was people who had raced!)

In other news, Jeremy and I actually got to go on a date (we went to see "Star Trek") Saturday night! Our wonderful neighbor, Jamie came over and wrestled our kids for two hours, even successfully getting Reilly in bed before we got home, and trying really hard with Reilly. It was so much fun to get to do that. I'm pretty sure the last movie we saw together was last summer...
And we're gearing up for our visit home to Arizona. My little brother, David (pictures to come, I'm sure) flew in yesterday to spend a few days with us and to help us drive home. We're taking a "short cut" (ha ha - make that 24 hours drive a 30+ one...) through Salt Lake City/Ogden, UT in order to meet up with Emily and Jason for a day (and deliver a stroller). They won't see David again before he leaves for his mission to Kenya in July, and we haven't seen them since Christmas. I'm not sure when we'll see them again... it could be a while, at least for the kids. (I'm hoping to get out to see that new baby sometime after October!) We're hoping to do that first part of the trip (18 hours of driving) all Thursday, starting really early in the morning. I'll let you know how that goes. We might have to stop(for the night) but hopefully not!
We'll do some temple square stuff, let the kids run around a lot, and visit with my cousin, Cindy, and her family (who we're staying with in Ogden.) Hopefully it will be enough of a break before we head home (13 hours of actual driving) Saturday and Sunday...
While we're in AZ we have a little Jeremy and Sara trip to Disneyland planned (YAY!), and 4th of July on the mountains (another yay!) and our niece Chloe's first birthday! :) It should be a busy, fun, eventful trip!
While we're in AZ we have a little Jeremy and Sara trip to Disneyland planned (YAY!), and 4th of July on the mountains (another yay!) and our niece Chloe's first birthday! :) It should be a busy, fun, eventful trip!
We're trying to cram a lot into the next few days, (including a pedicure party , Nauvoo, Chuck E. Cheese's, and night golfing )

not to mention packing, a little laundry, and whole lot of preparation. Better go work on that... Wish us luck!



6 comments:
I didn't know you were going darn would have loved to seen you there! Maybe next year;)
Hope the traveling goes well! Awesome on running a 5k
That's so awesome that you guys did the race! I'm looking forward to a fun night and a nice pedicure before the next three chaotic weeks!
Sounds like fun. I wish it would have worked out for us to do it with you guys. Maybe one day I'll get out of bed and run a race.
HOW FUN! I want to do one too!
How Awesome! You guys are all so cute! I love that you guys did that with your kids!
Post a Comment